Surface Mulch in Gardens & Landscape
Mulch provides protection from temperature extremes and slows moisture loss from soil. Mulch also provides some slow-release nutrients.
- Use a maximum depth of three inches.
- Start 3-4 inches away from a trunk.
- Extend out to the dripline.
Compost, when used as lawn topdressing, retains moisture, supplies slow-release nutrients, and prevents soil compaction.
- Be sure compost is very mature to avoid harming the lawn.
- Use fine (screened) compost, raked over the lawn at a one-quarter inch depth.
- It is best if the lawn is cored before applying compost.
Compost must be very mature to avoid injury to plants when used as a potting mix.
- Use fine textured compost.
- Mix no more than one-third compost by volume.